Monday, April 28, 2014

Clinic Weekend, April 25th-27th

A great weekend! River levels 22 down to about 11 by Sunday evening.  Ran with Ben and Nathan BR, Bilbo and the rest of his advanced teens clinic group, then just Joey Heger for the last run of the weekend.

I paddled well, pushed hard, and nailed some moves I've been dreaming about for a long time.  The highlight for me was replicating Levi's rockslide/flare move on the Bat-rock at Cat's paw.  12 or 13" is about the perfect level for the move, and the effect of being airborne and launched so far from the tongue is sick.  I hit the approach solidly, rode high on the rock, then kicked off the lip to land the boof.  Really a great line.  

My bow skills are coming along too.  Hit the wavewheel on Cat's Paw's approach every time this weekend.  Got to link a couple of ends in the pour-over at Double Drop.  Continued to practice with the bow plugs and they're getting better all the time.  It might be time to invest in a beach ball  for the cockpit.  

One of my new features is the big hole at the bottom of Rickety Rack.  Its pretty trashy, but gives some good fun and practice.  Think about developing  a cartwheel here.  Also work on surfing the holes on the first ledge of Double Drop.  I had solid surfs this weekend, but they were always defensive one. Try to work on the rockspin on the left rock of the Fat Man's Squeeze. 

Things to work on:  one sided ruddering (45 degrees), improving the sliding draw, backdeck roll, edging, and developing a right sided double pump.  

It was fun paddling with the kids this weekend.  Paddling always brings out some playfulness in me, but paddling with a crew of 15-16 year olds is another matter.  I liked shifting the focus away from uber-technical paddling development and more towards maximizing fun.  Swimming Double Drop, backflips off the dam, trying moves that will inevitably end in carnage...that crew could run me ragged

.   

No comments:

Post a Comment