Monday, March 17, 2014

Race Weekend

Friday, March 14th
Gate setup and practice
9:30 am to 7:30 PM

Race Report: Saturday, March 15th
I was on this weekend.  Able to paddle near the limits of my ability, within competition setting.
That's what I'm happiest about, and have made the most progress on since last year.

1st Run, Men's Expert
175.XX plus 5 sec penalty at gate 17
Conservative lines through the harder moves (modified Murano at gate 3,  270 degree spin at gate 7)

2nd Run, Men's 30 and Under
171.57 plus 5 sec penalty at gate 12
More aggressive.  Repeated the modified Murano at gate 3, but carved through gate 7 (significantly faster)

3rd Run, Men's Expert
166.47 plus 5 sec penalty at gate 11
Balls out racing.  This run felt wickedly fast. Ran gate 3 directly, carved gate 7, paddled with sustained aggression.

I had not intended to make a second run in the Men's Expert category.  I was up on the rocks visiting with my family, when I saw some really fast contenders go by.  Race officials had earlier limited racers to one run per category. Unbeknownst to me, they'd just repealed that. So there I was, sitting happily in first place, until I saw Chuck McHenry and Joe Sartori lay down some screamin' fast lines in their glass boats.  Apparently I'm not the sportsman I'd like to think I am. I was watching their runs in awe, but wishing with all my might that they'd hit some gates.  I had a medal to defend after all...

Fortunately for me, Chuck did hit one; Joe Sartori put down a beautifully clean and deceptively quick run, however.  I didn't bother waiting around to see his time, I knew he'd just displaced me for the top spot.  I rushed to the top, geared up, and begged the officials for a second run.  I put it all on the table in an "all or nothing" last heat, Men's Expert category.  Aggressive lines, oxygen debt, and just enough time and attention to clear the gates.  I think it was a repeatable performance, but can't say that with certainty.  I was without question paddling at the limits of my skill and fitness.

That was the fastest run of the day, and even with a gate touch, snagged me the Men's Expert title.

Downriver Race
23:41 at 2"
Ran Z-route through Cat's Paw and got spun out at Dam Breech (+15 seconds)
Beat Joey Heger, but lost badly to Chuck McHenry (23:00)
I don't understand how Chuck goes so fast.







No comments:

Post a Comment