Monday, December 23, 2013

Big Water Babble

Yesterday I boated with Curtis Elwood, former SLU Kayaking Club president and one of a handful of people who taught me to paddle a few years ago.  I was anxious to get back in my slalom boat because last Saturday just wasn’t my day (check out the alterations to the stern of my boat if you don’t believe me).  Yesterday was better.

Curtis and I put on at 72, late afternoon.  Roselle gage read 10 feet and some change. The upper stretch really comes in to its own above 2’ over the bridge and it’s a treat to paddle.  Entrance rapid had this gradually sloping lead-in like high-volume, western rivers have.  There were even a few small rolling waves on the descent down the tongue before you reached the first standing wave.  Yesterday, it was green and glassy, maybe 4 feet tall.  This is the one that grows into the legendary BGW (big green wave) with a few more feet of river.  The wave felt like it was made just for longboats.  Terrific.

I peeled off after about 40 seconds of front surf and made for river right with a pivot turn in the trough of the wave.  I was feeling great until I saw Curtis go left instead.  Last time at 4’ over, I wrote about a diagonal breaking wave and hole combination, one almost right on top of the other.  It was discernibly bigger today and I felt very alone over there when I first saw it.  I punched the first hole diagonally, steadied myself with a downstream brace, then turned the brace into as much of right stroke as I could manage before hitting the diagonal head on. I reached the opposite blade as far as I could over its backside and was through, overjoyed but sputtering muddy water.

We stayed in the current and were soon shot through Kitten’s Crossing, just a class II boogie at yesterday’s level.  We followed the flow around the bend and arrived at Land of Oz.  This rapid might tie with Big Drop for favorites at high water.  It’s simply a long wave train of what I consider the highest quality waves on the river.  I find myself thinking of Tablesaw on the Ocoee – how it’s startlingly big relative to the rest of the river, but also fairly simple.  The waves are mostly regular and only curl at the very top.  Most are smooth and steep, the big ones are 7-8 feet tall.  I didn’t measure, but I know they looked at least as tall as any river waves I’ve paddled. Big, easy, and fun.  I’d place a boof stroke at the top of each.  When I got it right, ¾ of my boat would air out over the trough before the next one.

I had planned to move down the river right side through the Tiemann Shut-ins to catch some of the big waves I missed at 4’ over last time.  When I rounded the bend, I hardly recognized any of the features from that run.  The waves were mostly medium sized, chaotic, and many of them were white-capped. They were substantially larger than I remembered. Somewhere between push and shove. I ran the center instead and was happy for the alternative.  There’s something very cool that happens when running big water.  For me, it unifies two distinct aspects of the boating experience that are usually quite distinct.  Bear with me here.

One part is rational or scientific.  That’s the part which practices strokes and skills in the pool.  The pragmatic part that reads water, analyzes hazards, assesses ability, and makes decisions about safety and such.  This is the element that develops with practical experience.  The one that looks to fluid dynamics, physics, and personal ability to better understand the rules of engagement  - the physical constraints of the river’s canvas. It’s absolutely essential to good paddling.

The second part is the obliteration of all those thoughts in favor of the immediacy of the Zen, the flow, the emotional connection to environment - the artistic element. This is the part that comes alive when you’re jammin’ on a great surf wave. It transcends the technicality of edge control, spin momentum, paddle dexterity, and ballast – the things that keep you surfing there.  Instead of those composite elements, a singular aesthetic experience emerges from what feels like a separate consciousness.  This part makes any number of necessary adjustments automatically, and in complete isolation from the technical consciousness.  It’s this dimension that gives quality and richness to the same experience.  This is the element I chase.  The scientific aspect furnishes the requisite materials, which in turn lets the artistic element flourish. Least that’s the way it feels.

Above Big Drop, I could feel both spheres merging.  You approach the rapid with the first kind of thoughts in mind (I go left or center, watch out for the scary pour-over I know is on the right but can’t see, watch out for the man-eater hole in the center a little ways below the drop, etc.). In the midst of executing all those plans, you’ve got to deal with 100 yards of chaotic waves, holes, boils and swirly eddy-lines above the rapid.  When you’re looking a few waves ahead, thinking and anticipating your next move, you rely on the autopilot of the “surfer” consciousness for the here and now.  Yesterday both were operating seamlessly.  It felt so cool that it made my legs shiver in the cockpit.

At the actual drop I was a hair too far left.  I rode up the side of a diagonally breaking wave before it dropped me off.  After recovering, I made for the eddy on the left.   The man-eater from C. Ahler’s video (linked elsewhere on this page) was only half there.  The river right portion looked like nowhere you’d want to be, but the left was just a tall, steep wave.  Curtis moved left at the last moment, though mostly for show I think.

He led through Cat’s Paw.  I started river right and moved steadily to center.  I didn’t want another mix up with funky eddy/pour-over on the right. I crested the first big wave with good form, but was slapped pretty hard by the second.  It knocked me to the right and I got a healthy dose of spray in my face.  The brace was there automatically, and I was very happy for it.  I knew the rapid was over, but was very uncomfortable for the split second before my eyes confirmed it.

Double Drop looked scary.  They all looked scary, but Double Drop you could boat scout from safety and that made it worse.  There was time to think about it rather than simply to respond.  Two huge diagonal wave/holes meet asymmetrically in the center, one from each side of the channel.  Curtis ran the right, was shoved to the left as he topped the first wave, then was pushed right back on line by the left wave behind it.  It was so cool to watch.  I was feeling good and punched through the meat of the wave on the left.  It seemed like a great idea until I was right in front of it and realized how big it actually was.   Fortunately, my paddle found good water on its backside, and I was through.

That was the last of the rapids.  Rickety Rack was gone, and we took out at Turkey Creek so as not to portage the dam breach.  Last time, I couldn't help breathing a sigh of relief when we finished the shut-ins; this time I wanted more.  I just about begged Curtis to drive back to the top with me. Missouri whitewater paddlers don’t have much in the way of choices, but we do have a fantastic river in the Saint Francis.  The fact that on the same river you can safely teach II-III fundamentals, surf till your heart’s content between 15” and 25,” or push your comfort level on big water IV+ (or higher), is pretty cool if you ask me.  It makes me feel very fortunate.

See you at the river,

Rory

February 26, 2013
Upper and Lower
5.25' Over


6500 cfs?

No comments:

Post a Comment